OKAY so this video of the band introductions from Dallas on August 24th is PRETTY FUCKING BRUTAL and makes me love this entire dumb band so fucking much I just can’t even DEAL. But it is ESPECIALLY bad for a Liam girl, which is impressive given that it doesn’t show him while he sings most of Don’t Stop ‘Til You Get Enough. I DON’T EVEN CARE ABOUT THAT (…although if you know of a video that DOES focus on him while he sings that, I WOULD BE INTERESTED IN SEEING IT) because everything that the video actually DOES show is completely overwhelming and TOO MUCH ALREADY.
- It starts with Liam and Louis discussing how hot it is in Texas, and Liam mentioning that his skin crisps up if he’s in the sun for more than twenty minutes getting his tan on, and Zayn gets that GLORIOUS LOOK of ‘oh my god he is so dumb and I LOVE HIM THE MOST’ on his face (we all know that look). And the camera pans over to where Harry and Niall are sitting together while Harry is eating a banana and dealing with his hair and Louis is doing his job of introducing the band in that way that ONLY HE CAN, where like he is going to do the talky bits even though they’re ridiculous and predictable and all that WHILE ALSO being genuinely impressed by the band members themselves, because he’ll be an asshole about the required parts of his job but he’s never going to take the piss out of the actual people who work with them and make it possible for them to have the career they do. Following a script may be dumb, but the band themselves aren’t. Basically, the first thirty seconds of this video sums up these idiots to a T.
- Louis introduces Jon on the keys, and Jon plays…something and then Liam and Louis are VERY IMPRESSED and there’s a moment when you think that maybe, MAYBE this band introduction won’t be that terrible, we’ll survive it without going into total agony because while it was NICE it wasn’t a BIG THING.
- That hope is shot to hell seconds later when Dan is introduced on the guitar, and he starts playing Sex on Fire by Kings of Leon and Liam and Niall start singing along, Liam bouncing up and down on that little ledge that’s his favorite part of the stage and singing it BASICALLY AT HARRY, while Niall is SPRAWLED OUT with his legs open and singing it back at Liam, who immediately shifts focus to Niall for their duet, and like thanks for that, Dan, THANK YOU SO MUCH. WE ALL REALLY NEEDED THAT. Meanwhile Harry just looks like he’s preparing for the real Kings of Leon to suddenly appear from backstage, but it’s cool. HIS HAIR IS READY.
- All of that was just an amuse-bouche to get us ready for Sandy’s solo, which, yes Liam, in answer to your question, IT’S ANOTHER MICHAEL, so he starts grinding on the ledge that at this point has to be pregnant fifty times over and singing along to Don’t Stop ‘Til You Get Enough and Jon joins in with the keyboard and IT IS A LOT. And then the camera pans over to Niall and Harry, and Niall is dancing up on Harry, and working SO HARD to get him to join in on the reindeer games with them, and meanwhile Liam is just singing ALL THE PARTS AND I CANNOT. And then ZAYN is dancing along and giving Liam a THUMBS UP and it is just so fucking adorable I am dying.
- after the song is over (or at least once Sandy is like OKAY THAT IS ENOUGH because let’s be honest we all know that Liam would literally just do Band Karaoke from now until the next album is released) Liam comments on what a high vocal that is for him, and all the other boys commend him for his singing and Harry asks the crowd to give it up for him, and like. HERE IS THE THING, it’s not that they’re NOT taking the piss out of him, because THEY ARE, but it out of SUCH LOVE AND AFFECTION AND GENUINE ADMIRATION, and he is EXACTLY the little bear that they know him to be, and his utter comfort and CONFIDENCE with them all, his COMPLETE KNOWLEDGE that they love him and would defend him to the DEATH, like I will never get over it. never ever ever.
- And then Josh does his drum solo, and it’s great and Liam and Louis have a little convo about it, about how much they enjoyed it, and then there’s a transition to SOMETHING and I don’t know what it is that they’re singing or referencing or WHAT but IT IS ADORABLE and Liam LAUGHS THAT LAUGH OF A HAPPY TODDLER AND KICKS HIS LITTLE FEET AND IT IS SO SO GREAT AND GOD I LOVE THEM.
- I also love beyond the telling of it the way that Louis transitions from the SINCERE JOY AND LOVE he has for his Liam and his brothers and their BAND to him introducing What Makes You Beautiful, and like I hope that they have to sing that song three times a week (and twice on Sundays) for the REST OF THEIR LIVES if only so I can watch the light die in Louis’s eyes every fucking time he has to pretend even JUST A LITTLE BIT to be enthusiastic about it. NOTHING BETTER, SERIOUSLY.
IN CONCLUSION I am going to watch these four minutes another FIFTY OR SO TIMES because I love them I love them I LOVE THEM oh MY GOD.